Monday, August 29, 2011

FIND A HAPPY PLACE....

"Find a happy place, find a happy place, finda happy place!" (Peach from Finding Nemo) Yes, yes I did just quote a kids movie... and no, no there isn't any shame in my game on that one!

Today as I left work and my mind was completely flooded with thoughts I knew I needed to go find a happy place (or 2). So I headed for a local park that has a batting cage at it. Some times just swinging a bat at a few balls seems to help put things into perspective. The batting cage was close (thanks for that IRENE... you're the worst). So I made the choice to drive an extra 15 minutes away to a batting cage I was hoping would be open. SUCCESS... it was open! As I swung my bat at 36 balls I was slightlyimpressed with myself that I made contact on 32 out of the 36... yup only missed 4 balls... YEA BUDDY!!! Swinging my bat has always brought me some joy, it was always something I enjoyed doing for as long as I can remember. A bat or a ball in my hand always brought me joy. I wasn't ever really great like I could have played in college or anything but I always LOVED the game, and it always brought mesuch simple joy.It's also always been something that has helped me clear my mind even if it was just a little.

After the batting cage I headed back to the park to a place my pastor had taken our staff last year of a little staff prayer and a meeting. I remembered thinking to myself the day we went there, I should come back here and take some time alone sometime. Well today I did just that. I sat in a spot near the water and watched the sunset while I prayer and journaled. There have been a lot of thoughts circulating through my mind.A lot of thought provoking questions and just moments where I have needed to catch my breathe. Tonight those thoughts ranged from past, present, future and distant future. Life in general and the specific topics and situations and things that I have lived through or may eventually see happen in life. I without a doubt have some dreams for my personal future, some that terrify me and some that excite meand some that do both at the same time.
Life has without a doubt handed me some lemons but it doesn't occur to me to make lemon aid and not because I am not "Suzzie Homemaker" enough but because it would more quickly occur to me to pretend that they are a ball and wack the juice out of them. Not because I'm violent but simply because swinging my bat brings me joy.

Tonight though there was an unexpected happy place came from and unexpected... text message that caused me to think about something I don't really like to think about and I got VERY real... and slightly girly (as I sobbed a little) as I answered the text. But I became increasingly thankful for happy places... the physical ones and the ones that come through people who just genuinely care about me. I was feeling a little blah today but I can rest easy this evening knowing that there are places I can go to find solace and people I can be real with and feel safe (that lesson is a little hard to remember).

THANKS... pretty sure I am one of the most blessed people in the world when it comes to awesome people in my life!


No comments:

Post a Comment