Monday, September 5, 2011

Labor Day Lessons

Labor Day.... it never really made a lot of sense to me, but I always loved that it was aday off for most people I knew. Today I got to spend LABOR DAY with two really amazing kids and a pretty cool teenager. My pastor and his awesome wife attended a wedding while their fantastic kids and my baby sister and I hung out for the evening. It was a night filled with craziness and tons of fun. Video games with Malachi... we learned that Lego Star Wars is AWESOME. Tea party and glitter nail polishwithAbby.... she's such a girly girl! Chinese food... always a good call... gotta love fortunecookies! And what would an evening with the Bishop kids bewithoutwrestling... there was some body slamming, some climbing, some pillow chucking, and some all out crazy moves... good stuff. And then it was time to wind down and get calm so we turned on the TV and had some pjs and quiet time.
Kids have an amazing way of helping me see things. It's incredible the way they teach me things and they don't even intend to. Like today as we ate our Chinese food neither one of the kids was hesitant to try something new. We ordered something they had never tasted just because it sounded cool (we ordered food we knew they liked too), and they tasted it. They weren't afraid to try something new. I wish I was a little less afraid to try new things. But the thing they taught me that stood out tonight was... "She doesn't talk a lot when she doesn't know someone" and observation Malachi made about his sister. Yeah it was funny but it was amazing! It made me realize that some of us don't ever grow out of our quietness. I still don't talk a lot to people I don't know too well. I've been working on opening up with people but it's been easier said then done. I am however really glad that I have found some people I really feel comfortable opening up and being real with.

No comments:

Post a Comment