Thursday, March 24, 2011

Closets and Cobwebs...


So yesterday was one of those days where all you really wanted to do was stay home in bed or on the couch curled up with some coco and a good movie (or book) and just veg out. It was cold and yucky.... but I got ready and joined my pastor and our admin assistant at our new campus in Babylon. It was quiet the experience.

When you first walk down the outside steps to the basement door you are greeted by some not so attractive doors. Then you proceed through the doors into a hallway that looks a little dreary. Needless to say it wasn't the most visually stimulating of circumstances, I mean really when you're fighting off cobwebs it's not so much fun.

Anyway my pastor asked me to start organizing the things that were already at the church for the kids ministries. So with trash bags in hand I started sorting at first it was 2 piles TRASH and KEEP. Then I started thinking, maybe not TRASH everything that we won't use, so a third pile was introduced... GIVE AWAY. It took about 2 hours to clear off a 3 shelf shelving unit and a closet. There were some things that I discovered that sent me flashing back to the early 90s when I attended kids church and then there were some things that just made me sad. As I organized things and cleans some stuff up I at some points had to fight off tears as I became so sad that a church that was once active and clearly had some kids running through it became so quiet and almost forgotten. I discovered a picture of about 10 kids ranging from around 5 or so to about 11 years old and it was in that moment that I had to fight my hardest to not ball my eyes out. I realized that this church was once a place where kids were learning and growing.

There are homes in the area with families who have yet to see the amazing things God can and will do in and through them. I am so excited for our church to have been given this opportunity to become part of what is going to happen in that area. It's going to be awesome being a part of seeing a building and a church that was so broken and in disrepair raise up and help others reach and know their full redemptive potential.

All this happen while cleaning out some closets and attempting to avoid some cobwebs. Love when God speaks to my heart during an unexpected moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment