Friday, March 2, 2012

Power of words...

I'm about to let out a secret that you may or may not have known... words pack A LOT of power. The power to up lift a situation or a circumstance and the power to rip someone apart.

Unfortunately I personally am not always aware of that fact. There are moments when I say things that can bring hurt and harm to others. I try to catch myself in those situations but sometimes I'm not quick enough to catch my words before they are spewed out. I find myself saying sorry for things that I say that hurt others unintentionally and wishing that I hadn't opened my mouth at all. I unfortunately cannot go back and erase that words that I've sometimes spoken about others or to others. My heart breaks at that thought. Knowing you hurt people you love with the same mouth you were always able to love and encourage with rips me apart. In moments like that I know not only did I say and do something that could hurt or affect someone I care about but that I also grieve God's heart. Fortunately for me God forgives pretty easily... I mess up a lot not just with my words but in life in general and I without a doubt need that grace and love and compassion that He shows me when I go to Him and am truly sorry for the things I have said and done. Unfortunately for me people are people and most times hurt takes time to get over. I've been on the receiving end of hurtful words and those scars are deep. Certain things people say (even if it's not the person who originally said it) trigger feelings of past hurts and I have to remind myself that forgiveness sets me free as well. This isn't really what I wanted to blog about but I guess I needed to be reminded (love when I get these gentle reminders).

What I really wanted to talk about was the POSITIVE side to the power of words. This morning I received a text from someone asking for prayer. It was a situation that their family really needed to know God was in. I stopped what I was doing and began to pray for this family and the situation they were facing. I posted on facebook "Praying for a family who is waiting on God for an answer... Lord bring peace in the waiting." People who knew the situation liked it and within moments that prayer was answered. Now I know full well that prayer doesn't always work like that and it's not always that quick but I quickly became consumed with some pretty awesome thoughts. What if that family hadn't reached out for prayer? What if people hadn't responded in prayer? What if the words we prayer weren't prayed? Would the situation have been different? See the power of words this morning was also in the power of prayer. When you allow your words to be impacted by the God who gives you enough air in your lungs to speak the words it's like your words end up having super powers.


I am incredibly thankful for the out come of that situation and equally thankful for the lesson(s) God allowed me to learn through that situation. Thankful for friends who pray and thankful that I was given the chance to be a friend who prayed, but even more then that, thankful for a God who answers prayers because that situation was an immense blessing in my world and in their lives today. So glad God knows what He is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment