Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Right foot, Right foot, Left foot, Right...

When I was younger I really enjoyed reading Dr. Suess books, they were just challenging enough to make me feel smart and they were always pretty comical.  Not gonna lie I still like reading Dr. Suess books.  I mean who doesn't enjoy some made up words, characters like the Cat in the Hat and the Whos?  Two of my favorites are "The Places You'll Go" (which my sister in law got me when I graduated High School) and the "Foot Book" because I still as an adult cannot tell my right from my left at times (true story).  The foot book involves taking lots of steps as does the places you'll go.  There's some mystery in both as to where the steps will lead... which seems to be so fitting for my life right now.

I've stepped up my reading game a bit and now I read adult people books... weird to think I actually read as sort of a hobby now but hey, "leaders are learners", or so that's what they tell me.  I picked up a book that I've probably owned for about 2 years, it had been sitting on my shelf for a while unread.  Oddly enough I know the guy who wrote the book and he's said a bunch of times that he prays that the people who read his books will read them at the "right time" in their lives.  My current read is Wild Goose Chase by Mark Batterson.  He's written a few really great books and he's a pretty amazing speaker too but DO NOT read this book unless you are prepared to be MESSED UP (in a good way).  I've been slow reading Wild Goose Chase because I want to digest everything it has to say.  My world has been flipped upside down in the last month or so and this read has been so timely.

This past Saturday I read a portion of Wild Goose Chase that talked about Moses and his staff.  His staff was part of his identity, part of his security, it sort of help define who he was.  Batterson at one point in the chapter asks a series of questions..."Has God ever called you to throw something down?  Something in which you find your security or put your identity?  It's awfully hard to let go, isn't it?  It feels like you are jeopardizing your future.  And it feels like you could loose what is most important to you.  But that is when you discover who you really are."  My heart began to beat just a little bit faster and I instantly put the book down and started to journal.  (Big surprise there I'm sure... I like to write things down and look back on them.)  Batterson wraps up the chapter with this statement... "Throw down your staff, come out of the cage, and discover the adventure on the far side of routine."

The very next day I was in church and the time had come... it was time for a Moses moment in my life.  So I took off my shoes (and put some socks on... the AC makes my feet cold), and prepared to throw down my "staff."  I followed my routine of getting things all set up in KidCity and began to get ready to teach.  I was given instructions on how the day would go, I started my morning with the kiddos like any other Sunday and then I handed them off to our youth pastor and joined the front row in "big church."  As I sat fighting back tears my pastor talked me up a bit (thanks for that... so much love and respect for that guy) and then he called me up to the platform.  In my socks and KidCity get up (jeans and a KC tshirt) holding in as much emotion as I could I stepped down as our church's children's pastor.  I threw down my staff and now I am trusting God to take that staff and make it a rod that He can and will use.

Right foot, Right foot, Left foot, Right.... I'm taking the next step on this Wild Goose Chase and trusting that God is leading me in the Places I'll Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment