Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Called... Chosen... Set Apart

A few weeks ago I was in the office and I was attempting to dial the phone 5 attempts later of dialing the wrong number and skipping numbers I finally called the place I was trying to call.  (Sometimes I have blonde moments...)  As my office buddy and I laughed at how silly I was with my inability to dial a phone I thought back to how this whole journey at the Point Church started for me... not so much the interview process and how I KNEW beyond the shadow of a doubt that this is where I needed to be.  I was prepared to sacrifice whatever was needed because I knew what I was called to do.

Called... what do I mean???  Well... when I was a kid I went through some pretty horrific experiences and I felt like life was probably not really worth living let a lone trying to succeed in.  I felt like I was useless and that there was NO way I was ever going to amount to anything.  I felt like I did the first 5 times I dialed that number... pretty foolish.  Foolish because I had messed up so badly, because things were so far out of my control and so far out of reach for me.  There was no way I was ever going to get that number right so why bother trying to make the call.

I didn't come from a family who had great wealth, or even the best of relationships all the time.  I wasn't the smartest kid in my class all the time.  I didn't have the most athletic ability.  I wasn't a kid that stood out above the rest.  There was nothing that made me special in the typical way the world would look at someone and think, oh what yeah that kid is going to do something great.

At a youth retreat one year I felt like the internal phone in head was ringing and that it was being said to me that there was something more for my life, but as I looked at my life I thought.. there's NO WAY.  Like I said I am not the most intellectual but the last time I checked... Called did NOT mean qualified.... chosen did NOT mean perfect and set apart did NOT mean typical.  So I guess not being qualified, perfect or typical kind of worked for me for once.

Phones ring around me all the time, I have to make calls constantly but no CALL has ever had such significance, such meaning, such appeal to me as the one I got that night at a youth retreat.... so here's to not being qualified... heres to not being perfect and here's to not being typical.

Just like that fireweed tattoo on my left foot I will continue to rise above the negative situations... I will continue to grow in HOPE, Faith and LOVE.. and I will keep close to my heart the call that was placed there about 12 years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment